Company: Joplin Schools
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent; 3-5 years
related experience preferred
Reports to: Building Engineer, Director of Facilities
The custodial staff is responsible for maintaining a clean,
sanitized and attractive learning environment.
- Supports the mission of Joplin Schools.
- Supports the value of education.
- Become familiar with, enforce, and follow all applicable Board
policies and regulations, administrative procedures, other
directions given by district administrators and supervisors, and
state and federal laws.
- Properly supervise students at all times, if applicable to
essential job functions.
- Obey all safety rules, including rules protecting the safety
and welfare of students.
- Care for, properly use, and protect school property.
- Maintain courteous and professional relationships with
students, parents/guardians, other district employees and the
- Communicate effectively with supervisors, department staff, all
members of the school district, and community as required.
- Provides excellence in customer service both internally and
- Complies with privacy rights and safeguards confidential and/or
sensitive information pertaining to staff and students.
- Reacts to change productively and receive and transmit
constructive criticism as it relates to job duties.
- Actively participate in professional development and obtain
skills and information necessary to effectively perform job
- Conduct all official business in a professional and timely
manner, utilizing district technology resources.
- Arrive to work and leave work at the time specified by
supervisors and attend all required meetings pertinent to the
- Maintains accurate records and filing systems for
accountability and audit purposes as required by law and Board
- Solve practical problems utilizing math functions as needed to
complete job duties.
- Read and interpret documents such as work orders, safety rules,
and handbooks and apply to job duties.
- Dust, sweep, and/or mop floors as necessary.
- Wash windows and clean window sills.
- Care for and clean the grounds (watering and mowing grass,
trimming shrubs, etc.)
- Scrub, strip, wax floors as scheduled.
- Clean and sanitize restroom fixtures, hardware, tile, mirrors,
partitions, floors, etc.
- Replace restroom supplies as needed.
- Set up tables, chairs, etc. for school meeting, games, dances,
and any other events.
- Report any damage to school property and report maintenance
- Replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes as needed.
- Follow established schedule.
- Load and unload supplies and equipment.
- Completed minor repair work as needed.
- Sweep exterior walkways and remove snow as directed.
- Relieve, assist, or fill in temporarily on other jobs as
assigned by supervisor.
- Know location, proper care, and use of all firefighting
- Maintain security of the classroom and buildings.
- Check to make sure all doors are locked, windows are locked,
and buildings are checked for fire hazards.
- Assist with routine maintenance during summer months.
- Report any trouble or problems relating to the heating or
cooling systems immediately.
- Clean all tools, supplies, and equipment after each use and
store in their proper place.
- Secure the building at end of shift.
- Perform light maintenance duties according to capabilities or
- Fill in as Building Engineer on a temporary basis in the
absence of a Building Engineer.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned.
- Occasionally lift, push or pull over 60 pounds
- Lift, push, pull, and otherwise handle equipment and tools
- Frequently squat or kneel to the ground
- Frequently bend and twist while operating tools and
- Frequently walk up and down stairs
- Frequently climb and descend ladders
- Frequently use repetitive arm, wrist and hand movements
- Use close, distance and peripheral vision as well as depth
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this
The work conditions and environment described here are
representative of those that an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform essential functions.
Conditions and Environment
Environment is that of a typical school setting. The individual who
holds this position must:
- Frequently work in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 100
- Occasionally work in rain, sleet and ice and drive on slippery
- Often work in an area with a high noise level including engine
noise and the sound of many children speaking, a raised voice may
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not
to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties,
and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they
do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to
change at the discretion of the employer.
Keywords: Joplin Schools, Joplin , Custodian, Other , Joplin, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...