Operations Lead - Packaging
Company: Owens Corning
Posted on: April 10, 2021
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very
important to us. Due to the current situation related to the
Coronavirus (COVID-19), we're leveraging digital capabilities which
allows us to continue to connect talented individuals with exciting
careers at Owens Corning. As your application progresses, you may
be asked to use one of our digital tools to help you through your
recruitment journey. If so, our team is here to support you
throughout the process, answer any questions and provide an
outstanding experience. For more information, see how we are
responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic (opens in new window) .
Operations Leads are a cross-functional role responsible for
leading the shift team on the daily operations and preventative
maintenance of the cupola furnace, production line, and packaging
systems. This position is accountable for ensuring that production
scheduled for completion is executed in a safe, timely manner,
within all quality parameters, and for participation in both the
training and performance management processes. Reports to : The
Operations Lead is an hourly position reporting to the Production
Shift Supervisor. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that department and Owens Corning safety rules are being
communicated and followed, including PPE usage.
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met
on a daily basis.
- Ensure productivity of all employees assigned to designated
- Maintain a clean and safe work place in accordance with 5S
- Create and maintain a general housekeeping schedule with
responsibilities to ensure cleaning throughout the shift; maintain
a safe work environment.
- Maintain high quality products by insuring consistent, good
fiberization and binder applications.
- Leads, assists, trains/coaches, and performs the duties of the
operators and any other personnel assigned within the cupola, line,
forming, batch house, binder operations, and wash water areas.
- Participate in operations management meetings on behalf of
supervisors if requested.
- Assist supervisor in controlling material and labor costs and
efficiencies in the department.
- Assist supervisor in efforts to control waste, cost reductions,
and process improvements.
- Ensures that production processes are carried out as
- Reduce scrap and ensures quality in products.
- Assist in accident/incident investigations for injuries,
near-misses, and property damage and support corrective
- Lead stretching activities and provide daily communications to
the department employees at the beginning of the shift.
- Recommend equipment upgrades, replacements, and repair as
- Communicate information to the supervisor and department
employees of the next shift to ensure effective and safe
operations, efficient equipment and material usage, and quality
- Mediate problems between employees as necessary.
- Monitors computer / control consoles / screens. Inputs and
retrieves data. Makes process adjustments utilizing computer /
- Other activities as may be assigned in order to maintain
production requirements of the department or plant. Work
assignments will be made at the discretion of management.-- JOB
REQUIREMENTS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in
an industrial/manufacturing environment
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Previous Manufacturing Shift Lead experience highly
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field highly
- Experience operating powered industrial equipment such as
forklift, Bobcat, overhead cranes, and hoists preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES : The employee should hold the
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Champion of Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications
and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment
- Work independently
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- 8-12 hour Non-Rotating shifts
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 8 or 12 hour
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment BENEFITS
Owens Corning employees take pride in delivering a material
difference, we take pride in offering benefits that improve their
life and health. We offer a total compensation opportunity that not
only rewards extraordinary employees, but helps them to drive
impact with our customers, and the world around them. Owens Corning
provides a range of competitive benefit options, allowing you to
choose based on your individual needs. HEALTH Being able to make a
difference means having options that fit your lifestyle. That's why
Owens Corning offers a variety of competitive healthcare options to
protect you and your dependents from significant health events.
- Medical and prescription drug coverage that allow you to
contribute to health savings accounts (HSA) pre-tax.
- Vision coverage FINANCIAL GROWTH Building a career that makes a
difference means focusing on all aspects of your future. Owens
Corning helps you take care of retirement by offering a
market-competitive 401(k) savings plan. While you build your nest
egg, you can also take part in the long-term success of our
company. The Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) provides U.S.
employees the opportunity to purchase Owens Corning stock at a 15
percent discount every six month. VACATION Fostering curiosity and
building teams that think differently are key to our success.
Keeping that spark alive in our employees means ensuring they have
time outside of work. So paid vacation and holidays are available
to all our employees from their first day of employment. Full-time
employees receive vacation time based on total professional tenure.
LIFE We all have a life outside of work-and that's why we've put
together a range of benefits that help you maintain just the right
balance to thrive. After all, your personal success is just as
important as your work successes. We offer:
- $50,000 of basic life insurance coverage for all full-time
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Access to group universal life insurance, personal accident,
critical illness, or hospital indemnity insurance, and identity
protection and monitoring insurance
- Adoption and Family Assistance - OC is committed to helping
employees in their endeavor to build a family, including financial
assistance for adoption and surrogacy
- Employee assistance programs (EAP)
- A rebate program that allows employees to receive a rebate of
up to $2,000 every four years for purchases of OC's wide range of
products for new construction or home improvement PARENTAL LEAVE
Owens Corning provides two weeks paid time off for all new parents.
This includes both mothers and fathers at the time of birth or the
adoption of a child. WELLNESS Our Healthy Living program empowers
our employees by taking a holistic approach to health. Programs and
platforms focused on six aspirations (Know your Numbers, Physical
Activity, Nutrition, Financial Health, Tobacco-Free, and Healthy
Minds) allow employees to engage daily and earn rewards for their
investment. Plus, at some locations, there are on-site wellness
facilities that help you achieve all your health goals. This job
description in no way states or implies that these are the only
duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this
position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other
job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related
duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of
the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental
job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job
functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification
to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform
this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills,
aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some
requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or
significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others.
The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of
knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or
otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship. Please note:
Applications must be filled out completely-incomplete applications
will not be considered. Resumes are welcome, but are not a
substitute for completing the application. Be the first to know of
new job opportunities:
Keywords: Owens Corning, Joplin , Operations Lead - Packaging, Other , Joplin, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!